Monday, June 10, 2013

La Parure


La Parure,
 illustration of the title page of the
Gil Blas,
8 October 1893

A short story, "The Necklace (French: La Parure) by the French writer de Maupassant, illustrates the tragedy that can result from the fault of envy. Mathilde Loisel, a beautiful young matron, is endlessly discontented with her own poor surroundings and envious of those who are rich. Borrowing a diamond necklace from a rich friend to wear to a ball, she loses it and her husband has to go heavily into debt to replace it. It takes ten years o scrimping and drudgery to pay off the debt. And by that time Mathilde is an old hag, hard and coarse.
The ironic twist at the end of the story that the borrowed necklace was an imitation of paste, points to the moral that material possessions are not worth the struggle human beings may endure to achieve them.


You can rid yourself of envy by affirming: I am innocent of the -fault of envy, for I know that God can and will provide everything 1 desire or need. I have faith in the power of God to make me perfect in all ways, and from Him I gain strength to overcome every weakness. I am still and know that God within me is helping me to eliminate my human desire for earthly treasures, lifting my consciousness to His kingdom where I behold the treasures of heaven. I am full of gratitude and praise for His wise guidance and infinite love. Clara Berenger~Peace Begins At Home (1954)

No comments:

Post a Comment