Sunday, September 16, 2012

O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.



Psalm 119:97 (KJV)
Verse 97. -- O how love I thy law! Who without love attempts anything in the law of God, does it coldly, and quickly gives it up. For the mind cannot give itself earnestly and perseveringly to things which are not loved. Only he who loves the law makes it his meditation all the day. --Wolfgang Musculus.
Wolfgang Musculus, born "Müslin" or "Mauslein", (1497 – 1563 ) was a Protestant theologian of the Reformation. A lover of song and of knowledge, of languages, Humanism and religion, he was swept up, along with the rest of his countrymen into the tempests and tears of his age.
Verse 97. -- O how love I thy law! Were I to enjoy Hezekiah's grant, and to have fifteen years added to my life, I would be much more frequent in my applications to the throne of grace. Were I to renew my studies, I would take my leave of those accomplished trifles -- the historians, the orators, the poets of antiquity -- and devote my attention to the Scriptures of truth. I would sit with much greater assiduity at my Divine Master's feet, and desire to know nothing but "Jesus Christ, and him crucified." This wisdom, whose fruits are peace in life, consolation in death, and everlasting salvation after death -- this I would trace -- this I would seek -- this I would explore through the spacious and delightful fields of the Old and New Testament. --James Hervey, 1714-1758.
James Hervey ( 1714 – 1758) was an English clergyman and writer. His earliest work, Meditations and Contemplations within fourteen years passed through as many editions. As a writer Hervey had two main aims: to propagate the Reformation theology that he believed, like other members of the evangelical movement, had been abandoned by the Church of England, and to draw on the intellectual and aesthetic interests of the wealthy and polite in order to draw them to Christ—‘to bait the Gospel-Hook, agreeably to the prevailing Taste’. Online edition of Hervey's Meditations and Contemplations

 Holy indeed are we, because our Source can know no error. And we who are His Sons are like each other, and alike to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment