Friday, October 5, 2012

I felt at one with the air, the trees and grass outside that window, with the rustle of the leaves and the sunlight.

A vibrant sensation of comforting lightness, gentle but all powerful, engulfed my body. It saturated me and seemed at first to lift me away. Musical sounds filled my being--the sounds of a gradual progression up the musical scale. I heard three notes in all--do, re, mi. All the instruments of every band and orchestra in all the world and in heaven saturated that tiny cell in perfect harmony. Then something else began to occur. I felt an expansion. Slowly I became aware of a distinct new connection with everything around me. It felt as if new life had been breathed into the walls of that cell, into the air, the floor and the ceiling, and the tree outside my barred window. I heard the rustle of every leaf on the tree; I felt the warmth of the sunlight and I smelled the grass in a new way, as if for the very first time. I was becoming the floor, the ceiling, and the walls of my cell. I felt at one with the air, the trees and grass outside that window, with the rustle of the leaves and the sunlight.
That's an excerpt from the following :
 

"A Prisoners' Experience"
Sometimes in our darkest hours, God turns on a light which changes the whole trajectory of how we view the world. My darkest hours came while serving a ten-year prison sentence. I made the potentially fatal mistake of engaging in a hot verbal confrontation with another convict. He was the leader of one of the largest and most dangerous street gangs in the Chicago area, and he wielded as much power inside the prison walls as he had on the street.
I don't fully recall what the argument had been about, but it had been serious enough that the order came down from the gang leader that on the following morning I was to be killed. There would be no escape from that fate. Alone in my cell that night, I paced nervously and smoked the last of my cigarettes. I experienced the darkest moments of dread and fear I had ever suffered in this lifetime. Visions of a horrible physical struggle followed by my inevitable death filled my thoughts. A major life-threatening confrontation was about to explode and I was afraid--more afraid than ever before.
For the first time in many years I turned to God. I got down on that concrete cell floor and prayed. Long ago I'd given up on the God thing. To me, God had become nothing more than a fairy tale--something only the gullible believed in. Until that moment, God had all but been forgotten except for those moments when He took the predominate blame for all my sorrows and circumstances.
I prayed for hours, begging, pleading, promising, asking God for a way out. Soon I had the thought to write out a note for help and give it to the next guard who would pass by my cell. In the note, I described my predicament and the impending danger.
After many more hours on the floor of my cell, my prayers were answered. I'd passed the note to a guard who returned much later, just before dawn, and he led me away. That same morning I was transferred from that maximum security prison to another facility, a minimum security confinement prison miles away.
The moment I was delivered to that new environment and heard the door of my cell locked behind me, I got down on my knees and thanked God for what I considered to be divine intervention. I thanked Him for a long time, remaining on my knees in grateful prayer, convinced beyond all doubt that my rescue had been nothing less than God answering my pleas for help. After hours of thankful prayer I became weary of kneeling. I laid down on my new bed and the instant my head rested on the pillow it happened. A vibrant sensation of comforting lightness, gentle but all powerful, engulfed my body. It saturated me and seemed at first to lift me away. Musical sounds filled my being--the sounds of a gradual progression up the musical scale. I heard three notes in all--do, re, mi. All the instruments of every band and orchestra in all the world and in heaven saturated that tiny cell in perfect harmony.
Then something else began to occur. I felt an expansion. Slowly I became aware of a distinct new connection with everything around me. It felt as if new life had been breathed into the walls of that cell, into the air, the floor and the ceiling, and the tree outside my barred window. I heard the rustle of every leaf on the tree; I felt the warmth of the sunlight and I smelled the grass in a new way, as if for the very first time. I was becoming the floor, the ceiling, and the walls of my cell. I felt at one with the air, the trees and grass outside that window, with the rustle of the leaves and the sunlight.
I wanted to go farther but as quickly as the power began to flow it subsided and very gently returned my awareness to my body. I was dumbfounded. What was this strange feeling? While it seemed oddly familiar and comforting it remained like something out of science fiction or religion. Religion had never held my interest. In fact, until that precarious previous night, when I begged for help and prayed for the first time in years, I'd long since given up any belief in spiritual subjects or in God. This had to be something bigger than all of it---bigger than anything I'd ever been told about or taught.
I was convinced that the feeling I'd just experienced had something to do with God-stuff, or maybe there was some scientific explanation, but without knowledge or a reference of any sort I could only wonder in awe. But something else stayed with me. There was the unmistakable conviction that God had acknowledged my prayers; God had answered me with a glimpse of an experience that would remain with me from that day on. God had blessed me with a brief but all-comforting assurance that real Love is unshakable, all-prevailing, all powerful and forever dev oted. It is the sort of compassion that a Father has for His Child.
What was it? Where did it come from? How could I feel it again? I couldn't answer those questions, but I have since spent the past thirty years asking them over and over before finally coming to understand that God is always with me, has never left, and never will.
**************
After losing his wife and family and serving a ten-year prison sentence, Joseph Wolfe now lives in Sedona, Arizona. He wrote and published Letter to a Prisoner to help convicts everywhere understand that there are greater powers lying beyond what their eyes can see.

From the book:




 Only in dreams is there a time when he appears to be in prison, and awaits a future freedom, if it be at all. Yet in reality his dreams are gone, with truth established in their place. Lesson 279

No comments:

Post a Comment