Thursday, October 18, 2012

Background of New Thought Series



These are six lectures on The Background of New Thought given at Unity Village from March 26, 1984 through April 6, 1984 by Philip White.

Philip Whites's Background of New Thought Series


White is an ordained Unity minister and the former editor of Unity Magazine. His service to the Unity movement includes many years as director of Unity's continuing education program and dean of its seminary at Unity Village. He is retired and lives with his wife, Audrey, in Lee's Summit, Mo.

Here is the bibliography Mr. White shared: Background of New Thought Bibliography
Historically significant because the internet had not yet exploded and much of the information he presents can currently be found online.
Mesmer –> Imagination -> Law of Mind –>Mental Healing –>
Quimby -> Mind affects mind ->
–> Evans -> Mental Cure
–> Dressers
–> MEB –> Christian Science
Emma Curtis Hopkins
–> Cadie
–> Brooks
–> Fillmores
–> Cadie
-> Holmes <- Troward <- Higher Thought <- Mental Cure
-> New thought
<- Power of Suggestion ->
God is an experiential experience.  Highly personalized and individualized.
The purpose of the whole exercise.
To remember what we are. To believe.


He also compares the method of Quimby and the method adopted by Unity and practised in 1984. Similar to the Spiritual counselling that Horatio Dresser undertook in later life at Unitarian.Healing comes from within, God,  with a change in consciousness. That was the gist of the "Mental" Cure" healing movement. External modalities tend to ignore that.
Note: Aletha Brooks Small, Fannie Brooks James, Nona Lovell Brooks (all sisters), who lived in Denver, Colorado, met Malinda E. Cramer and they all realized they had developed similar ideas independently. They joined forces in 1898 and organized the Divine Science College and the First Divine Science Church of Denver.
*** 
"I do not believe in evil. I believe in Good. I do not believe in sin. I believe in Truth. I do not believe in want. I believe in Abundance. I do not believe in death. I believe in Life. I do not believe in ignorance. I believe in Intelligence. There are no discords in my being. Being is peace. My faith, understanding and love are becoming one. ‘What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.’"
Dated: 1897 "THE INSPIRATION FOR MYRTLE’S HEALING:" “I am a child of God and therefore I do not inherit sickness”

No comments:

Post a Comment