Saturday, August 4, 2012

Faith and Works.


In the early part of the year 1888, I realized that my time was to be devoted to the teaching of Truth and Healing, and preparing others to go and do likewise; so in the month of May of that year, I decided to open a school for that purpose. We then chartered The Home College of Divine Science, for educational, ethical and religious purposes; for instruction in Divine Science and its therapeutic application—the Christ Method of Healing. The College was chartered May fourth, 1888, and dedicated to Truth. The following is quoted from the dedicatory address:
"There is no Truth that is not included in Spirit, Science is co-eternal with Spirit, its action and result. Then, to Truth, to the Good, we dedicate The Home College. To Universal Spirit—in which we live and move and have our being, and which is our eternal home—we dedicate this College. To the Source of all Truth, the Bestower of all Blessings, the Life of all Things, we dedicate our College." Then, "As much Truth as in me is, I am ready to preach the Gospel."

In August, 1888, I decided to publish a magazine in connection with the College, setting forth its teaching. The intentions then were just what they are now. Since realizing what Truth is, my habit has been to commence a work as soon as I saw it was the right thing to do. I have neither asked for nor tried to see the ultimate result before commencing the work, but have met the detail of it from day to day as it appeared before me. When I decided to issue the first number of Harmony,, in October, and spoke to Mr. Cramer of my intentions, he said : "You have had no experience in that line of work!" to which I replied : "No, but I am to have, and it is for me to commence its publication." He then said: "Have you a subscription list?" to which I replied: "No, not even one subscriber; I have not even thought that a subscription list is essential." He then pressed his questions further, and asked if I had sufficient money; to which I frankly replied, "I have not enough as yet to pay for the first issue." He then continued: "If you have but ten subscribers, you will be obliged to get out a certain number each month, and it will be as much work for you as if you had a thousand; the work will be constant, and you will take upon your shoulders the expenditure of about a thousand dollars the first year, besides your work. Now, Spiritual let us consider the matter. Are you ready to meet it?" Experience This was the first time my husband had made suggestions in Works that in any way seemed opposed to what I had planned to do. I took the matter into consideration for about fifteen minutes, and viewed it from the standpoint of his suggestions ; it brought a very uncomfortable feeling. I felt as if a dense cloud had settled over me. I then said : "I will not question the outcome; this work is for me to do, and I will do it. The first number of Harmony will be issued in October."

I fully realized at that time, as I do now, that there is no way by which good can be accomplished that is not open to those who act from the plane of Divine Being — from the Spirit of wholeness—for it is the Spirit that works all things together for good. The means necessary to carry on any work is included in the necessity for the work.

Being raised a Quaker, I was not wholly unfamiliar with the idea that I must listen to the still small voice, and having heard it, must obey. With the publication of Harmony, we took a decided stand against the supposition that there are two minds, "Divine and mortal," and that there are two selves, a "higher and lower," or two powers, a "good and evil," that are warring against each other. The Trinity or Law of Expression proves the absurdity of these suppositions, and all similar ones.

I have neither advocated nor adopted the voluntary system as generally understood, for there is nothing in it that changes any vital point of interest either in the teaching or practice of Truth. It is simply a matter of who shall set the price for the services rendered, whether it be the one who renders the service or the one who receives it. I have not made it a point in my work to speak of money, except as a medium of exchange. All the work that I have inaugurated and engaged in has been commenced without funds in hand, and I have demonstrated sufficiently along every line to succeed. No effort has been abandoned for lack of means. I have had absolute faith that the work would sustain itself. In the work of Divine Science there is no realizing sense of want. The demand for the work includes everything needful for its completion; for this reason it is supplied. My entire experience is proof against the belief that it is necessary to have money in the purse before commencing any enterprise for which there is a demand. Faith and works, knowledge and truth go hand in hand in Science. M.E.C.
Divine Science and Healing
BY
MALINDA E. CRAMER
1907

A Text-Book for the Study of Divine Science Its Application in Healing, and for the Well-being of Each Individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment