Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Quimby: Distance Healing.



I will now give one or two cases to show that my mind or spirit can go to a distant place and there produce an effect on a person without their knowledge. I was requested to try the experiment of putting a lady to sleep without her knowledge.

She was about sixty years of age, nervous temperament and resided over two miles from my house.
About eight o'clock in the evening, I lay down on the sofa and commenced operations. In a short time it seemed to me that she had gone to sleep and I told my wife so. I could not keep my mind off the lady and laid still for some time, when my wife said to me, "If you have put Mrs. M. to sleep, it is time for you to wake her up." I seemed to try to do so, but it appeared to me that she did not want to wake up and as she wished it, I concluded to let her sleep all night.
On making inquiries the next day, I ascertained that at the time I commenced putting her to sleep, she was sitting by the fire knitting. All at once she said, "Mr. Quimby is mesmerizing me," and she rose to go to her bed but was so near asleep that her son and daughter had to lift her onto the bed where she slept quietly until breakfast time the next morning. At their usual bed time, the family tried to wake her for the purpose of removing her clothes, but could not do so. At another time, her son-in-law, who was not present at the first experiment, wished me to try it again and I did so with equal success. I have tried experiments similar to the above a great many times, and with nearly the same success.

I thought I would try the same experiment on a lady myself according to my way of curing disease. I have no creed or belief. What I know I can put into practice, and when I put it into practice I am conscious of it and know what will be its effect. I sent to the lady (the subject of my experiment) who lived out of town a letter, telling her I would try my power on her from the time I commenced the letter which was Sunday, and visit her at different times until the next Sabbath; and on the next Sabbath I would come between the hours of eleven and twelve and make her rise from her bed where she had been confined by sickness, unable to walk for nine months. At the time appointed I went and used my power to restore her to the use of her limbs and to health. On the Wednesday following my letter, her husband wrote me that on Monday night she was very restless, but was better the next day. On the Monday following that, I received a letter from her saying that at the time I appointed for her to rise from her bed, she rose from her bed, walked into the dining room and returned and laid down a short time.
She then rose again, dined, and also took tea with the family, rested well that night and continued to do well. Now I suppose all of this transaction would be accounted for by the religious community by the power of the imagination of the patient. Suppose you do give it that explanation. How was the lady cured by prayer? On the same principle, I suppose. If so, how was it with the centurian who came to Jesus, saying that he had a servant lying sick with the palsy, grievously tormented? Jesus said unto him, "I will come and heal him." The centurian said, "Speak the word only and my servant shall be healed." Then Jesus told him to go his way and the servant was healed in that self-same hour.
Now who cured the servant?
Jesus, or the centurian, or the servant's own imagination?
Settle this question among yourselves.
PPQ

No comments:

Post a Comment