Friday, January 7, 2011

P.P. Quimby III: The Effect of Mind upon Mind

An hour before he breathed his last (January 16, 1866), he said :
I am more than ever convinced of the truth of my theory. I am perfectly willing for the change myself, but I know you all will feel badly, and think I am dead; but I know that I shall be right here with you, just as I always have been. I do not dread the change any more than if I were going on a trip to Philadelphia.

Quimby wrote about Anxiety, Cancer, Consumption (TB), Gout, Rheumatism and Tobacco among other things. [http://www.ppquimby.com/concord/concord.htm]. Not to mention Thought-reading and Clairvoyance. It was his years of mesmeric investigation and a deeper understanding of the New Testament that made the latter two possible.

You know I have spoken of odor. It is like the odor of any flower or vegetable and is what arises from an idea. Thought is a chemical change in the fluid, caused by a sensation produced on the mind. The mind is under the direction of a power independent of itself and when the mind or thought is formed into an idea, the idea throws off an odor that contains the cause and effect. For instance, a person is affected; the effect is called nervousness; this contains no knowledge to science, only an effect. ... From these prisons the smoke of their tormenting belief ascends and when I come in contact with their grief or odor, I know the cause of the trouble. The trouble is a sort of intelligence and belongs to this world. It is a sort of instinct to the natural man and has nothing to do with science. Odor July 1860

It may be asked how could the child be affected by its mother? In the same way as I was affected. To have the sense of smell or any other sense requires no language. An odor can be perceived by a child as well as a grown person. To every disease there is an odor and everyone is affected by it when it comes within his knowledge. Everyone knows that he can produce in himself heat or cold by excitement; so likewise he can produce the odor of any disease so that he is affected by it. I have proved that I can create the odor of any kind of fruit and make a mesmerized person taste and smell it.
The Effect of Mind upon Mind February 1864

A new science, a new mode of reasoning.
http://pvrguymale.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-science-new-mode-of-reasoning.html
If you can make the reader believe anything no matter how absurd it is,
http://pvrguymale.blogspot.com/2010/09/if-you-can-make-reader-believe-anything.html
The Effect of Mind upon Mind
http://pvrguymale.blogspot.com/2010/08/effect-of-mind-upon-mind.html

New Thought is generally traced from Emma Curtis Hopkins to MEB to P.P. Quimby.
The more of his Manuscript or Concordance
[http://www.ppquimby.com/concord/concord.htm]
you read the deeper your understanding becomes.

Quimby described the ego in his terminology years before Freud. His experiments with mesmerism, his method of healing and his views on religion, clairvoyance and thought-reading are often neglected or over looked. Or maybe he's been simply misunderstood.

No comments:

Post a Comment