Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Grain of Madness



Lida A[bbie] Churchill ( - 1922) was admired for her resourcefulness, independence and ability to inspire others to do their best and thus she became a role model for young women of her time. Born in England she moved to America while a child and started writing stories for publication by age 12. Her "My Girls," an account of a company of telegraph girls' experience when thrown upon their own resources and drew on her personal experience for the characters.
Her highest literary achievement was “A Grain of Madness”. The story involved telepathy and referred to occultism demonstrating her interest in mysticism.


My Girls
The Magic Seven [1901]
The Magic Seven Summary and Exercise
A Grain of Madness
How To Use The Will – Pamphlet
How To Go Into The Silence – Pamphlet
How To Concentrate The Mind – Pamphlet
How To Center Yourself - Pamphlet

"No one of the young writers is more ready in asserting a certain standard of dignity and nobility of thought; no one more keen in thrusting a lance into nonsense and sham and pretension; no one more earnest and true and tender in high thought and beautiful feeling. The most sensitive and impressionable nature; swift in assimilating new ideas and taking on that finer polish for which there is perhaps no better name than culture; responsive as a current of electricity; full of delicate divination and tender sympathy, and combining with all this range of the sympathetic, the imaginative and the spiritual, a fund of the common sense and flawless integrity of her New England heritage, Miss Churchill has certain signal advantages of temperament and capability to make her way in literature."
 Miss Lilian Whiting, author of "The World Beautiful," "From Dreamland Sent," Life Radiant etc., said of Miss Churchill in one of her press letters:


" You are seeking the essence of things," said one to a chemist who was known to be making some searching experiments. " No, the quintessence," was the reply. The aim of " The Magnet" is to secure for its readers the quintessence of the teachings for the acquirement of magnetism in words so few that they may be remembered, so strong that they may have lasting power.
LIDA A. CHURCHILL.
From: The Magnet [1903]
Sit alone, and as nearly as possible absolutely still, not even winking, twenty minutes at least (a longer time is better) every day, and say, audibly or mentally: I will to stop all waste of magnetism. I will to cease all in-harmony in thought or speech. I will to avoid all undue motion or emotion, and I hereby cease to believe that I have no magnetism.

Say in the silence: I will to generate magnetism. I will to. be pure and kind of heart, wide of sympathy, candid of mind. I will to he lifted in spirit above everything which would   render me less than a perfect magnet.

Say while sitting alone: I put all coldness, dogmatism, and unsympathetic and harsh words and ways away from me. I will, by justice, by tenderness, by expressed love and thoughtful care, to generate and send out aura which shall return to me bringing the love, friendship, or esteem of all with whom I, in any way, come in contact.

The greatest magnetism makers are love and respect. Say, when alone, at least once a day: I will to he clean within and without. I will to he loving, kind, sympathetic, well, and in all things fit for the temple of the Holy Spirit.

A strong purpose, the mastery of something, industry, honesty, fearlessness, and the habit of looking for good things, are great magnetizers. Say during the silent hour: I will to he just, righteous, honest, and free, and to control my life for power and success. I will that all the powers of good shall he my helpers, and to keep in constant, vital touch with the great Source of all desirable things. I will to succeed in (here anything in which one is especially interested or desirous of succeeding may be named).

Quietness of mind and of body are essential to magnetism. Sit every day absolutely alone and
perfectly still, for at least twenty minutes— a longer time is better. Fix your entire attention on the thing you desire. Say earnestly and impressively : I am an irresistible magnet, which draws unto itself everything it desires. I am quiet of heart and of manner, clear of brain, clean of heart, habits, speech and body, capable and worthy of commanding all good things. I claim (whatever you wish) as mine already, and that I shall very soon tangibly realize its possession.

Stagnation of ideas, emotions or movements hinder magnetism. Fresh thoughts and emotions, intellectual exercises, indulgence in legitimate pleasures, constant contact with life, daily sitting in the silence, and a recognition of the truth that one creates his own aura, and may. therefore, make his own destiny, go far towards keeping one a magnet. Say earnestly in the silence: I choose to clear my mind, heart, and intellect of everything which clogs and stagnates, and to keep open all the avenues by which life and light may enter. I demand, and expect, that all pervading, all-vitalizing, divine life which, showing forth in my every thought, word, and deed, shall make me, and keep me, a perfect magnet.


Self educated, it was in her  teens that she met Rev. Anson Titus a Universalist minister, antiquary, genealogist, historian, and lecturer who was born in Phelps, Ontario. He advised her to learn telegraphy. But how? The nearest telegraph office was five miles away, with no trains or conveyances between it and her. She had then never seen a telegraph instrument. She wrote to the operator, who kindly sent her  the Morse alphabet which she thoroughly committed to memory. Then there came from her brothers in Saundersville, Mass., a letter saying that a cousin, who was then superintendent of the Providence & Worcester Railroad, had said if she would learn telegraphy he would secure her a position. As she had never written that brother concerning her wish to learn telegraphy this occurrence seemed like a miracle. And thus, she came to know something of the power and possibilities of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment