Thursday, May 24, 2012

"I am a child of God, and therefore I do not inherit sickness."


It was in 1886 that a series of lectures were presented in Kansas City by Dr. Eugene B. Weeks. Dr. Weeks had at one time been a student of Christian Science under Mary Baker Eddy. However when one of her chief pupils Emma Hopkins broke away to found her own movement, The Illinois Metaphysical College, in Chicago, Dr. Weeks went with her. It was as a member of her College that he visited Kansas City.
It took 2 years before Myrtle Fillmore was completely healed. She was considered to be dying of hereditary tuberculosis. With no doctor or drug intervention, using tremendous strength of character and mental discipline, she daily focused on the idea from Weeks - "I am a child of God, and therefore I do not inherit sickness."

She brought her thoughts and actions into alignment with that idea. She read the Gospels, changed her eating habits and speaking habits wishing to be true and she also abandoned petty gossip.(1)
She steadfastly remained focused on what she wanted, believing in her partnership with God. (Practicing the Presence of God for Practical Purposes - Whitehouse and Anderson - 2000)
Evidently, the natural extension to her phrase, which people also grasped, was to apply the same idea to any area of your life, change your habits and beliefs remain focused on what you want.

(1) ECH's SCMP stated it thusly: God is your Father and Mother. You have not inherited disease. (page 150)

In 1886 a "Christian Science practitioner" named Eugene B. Weeks gave a lecture in Kansas City, Missouri. In his audience was Myrtle Fillmore, a woman who believed herself to be dying of hereditary tuberculosis. She emerged from the lecture with a new idea burning within her: "I am a child of God, and therefore I do not inherit sickness." By 1888, she was completely well. She explained to a friend:

I remember with great joy the time when it dawned upon me that God was my Father and that I need not be bound by human limitations. I had been laboring under the belief in inherited ill health, and the Truth of my divine parentage freed and healed me.

To another, she wrote:

It was such a wonderful time for me when I awakened to the Truth that God is my Father and that I inherit from him only that which is Good. It seemed to loosen all the binding thoughts of the race belief in inherited weakness and I breathed so freely and joyously.

 


https://www.truthunity.net/people/eb-weeks

Eugene B. Weeks, an advocate of metaphysical healing from the Illinois Metaphysical College in Chicago.
https://www.namb.net/apologetics/resource/unity-school-of-christianity/

No comments:

Post a Comment