Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Maps and Instructions

I am to give out what I want to get back. And when in doubt, I am to consult the Spirit of truth, who travels along with me in my heart.

Plain instructions, surely. The only thing that ever confuses me is how to consult the Spirit of truth. "Going into the silence" is a mystery to many of us. But it need not be if we just realize that it means not merely relaxing the body and calming the mind, though both are preparations for hearing the still small voice of Spirit. It means simply getting honest with ourselves. It means shutting out of the closet of a person's heart all the voices of selfdeception, expediency, trickery, pretense, splurge, and letting the voice of Spirit tell him what really is good, what really is right, what really is kind, what really is giving. It means disregarding outside considerations of reward or punishment, and just trying genuinely to see what is Truth, with the purpose of doing the thing that is right and trusting God for the results. It means submitting a definite problem to Spirit, for His solution--not offering argument. It is quite true that sometimes Spirit, wise traveling companion that He is, will just smile at me, and say, "Look at your map" or "Review your instructions" or "Wait for road signs." Each and all are given me for guidance. But He will tell me the truth always--if that is what I want--about the road to happiness.
Gardner HuntingWorking With God [1934]

No comments:

Post a Comment