Sunday, March 6, 2011

John 7:33/34

"Yet a little while am I with you and then I go unto him that sent me. Ye shall seek me and shall not find me and where I am, thither ye cannot come."



These words were also misunderstood by the disciples from the darkness of their belief. I will explain them as I understand them.

Christ is that unseen principle in man, of which he is conscious but which he has never considered as intelligence. It is God in us, and when man arrives at that state that he can recognize an intelligence that transcends belief, then death is swallowed up in wisdom. All will acknowledge that every scientific discovery might have been known before, that is, the truth existed before we knew it. We, in like manner, have an existence as active in itself as man in his opinions, but both cannot be seen at the same time for as one dies the other rises. To put man in possession of this truth, it is necessary to destroy the entire religious belief. Jesus endeavored to do this in order to convince man that his only true living self was the science of God. He also labored to prove that the sympathy that we feel towards each other is a living being with all the attributes of intelligence and that it remains when the natural man is destroyed. This was science to him, and its truth said, "I come again," etc.

I believe that Jesus came to convince man of this truth; I believe it and practice it so far as I understand it.

The world, or man's belief, accuses me of making myself equal to Christ as they accused Jesus of making himself equal to God. One of these accusers can visit the sick and with a long face ask God to hear his prayers and raise the sufferer; then if the patient recovers he believes that God blessed the means. But if I attribute my cures to God or Christ, the whole church is against me, and I am accused of making myself equal to Christ. They are not so sensitive about Christ, but it is their own reputation that they fear; they claim to be the ordained instruments of God and if man is saved it must be by their means. Jesus who opposed priestcraft met the same difficulty. It was the duty of the priests to care for men's souls; therefore he must not enter upon that ground else he made himself equal to them, which was blasphemy.

Jesus opposed the doctrine of another world and taught that man continued progressing; therefore at his crucifixion, when the idea matter was killed by opinions, the Christ that governed it was forced away. The casket or idea was left with the disciples and this to them was death. To see a form of Jesus was either to see a spirit or a resurrection of the old form. To him the science was different.

He suffered as a man suffers the penalty of the law. The law of religion said he must die, and when they saw the law of their belief fulfilled, this was the end to the law of man. Now it was necessary that the new revelation of Christ should come to pass and he should show himself to his disciples and others. Therefore the law did what is done by persons now; it put him into a state of unconsciousness, not that he might die, for his belief was that he would return, and the difference of belief made the controversy.

Jesus, like a clairvoyant, went from the idea on the cross to fulfill his promise to the disciples. Unconscious of change, he believed he had flesh and blood and when they thought he was a spirit, he said, "Hath a spirit flesh and bones as ye see me have?" Here he destroyed the belief in death and triumphed over the grave.
Phineas Parkhurst Quimby ~ “Jesus, His Belief or Wisdom” [1862]

"Yet a little while I am with you (ego), and then I go unto him that sent me (the presence of God in all men)."
"Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me,"means that others may wonder what you are doing and be unable to follow you in understanding or belief.
"And where I am, thither ye cannot come."Other members of your family, or the patient himself, may be unable to rise in consciousness and enter into the feeling of perfect health, because they are wrapped up in worldly beliefs.JOSEPH MURPHY ~ New Thought Magazine~ 1959

No comments:

Post a Comment