Saturday, March 5, 2011

Healing #4

The question has been asked if I do not cure many who do not receive my wisdom and may not even know what my belief is, and why cannot I, who believe that there is truth in you and wish to be taught by you, be cured?


To the first question I answer, Yes. I do often cure persons who have no understanding or curiosity about the manner in which I cure them. My wisdom is my remedy and the application to the patient is the cure. It is not necessary that a person who is thirsty should have another teach him where he can find a spring of water to quench his thirst, if the person will be good enough to supply his present wants.

But if the person has arrived at that wisdom where he knows there is danger of being thirsty again, then it is necessary that he should be put in possession of a wisdom that will lead him to the fountain so that he will not thirst but where he is to himself a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

The child is satisfied with the present gratification of its wants, never dreaming that it will ever be deprived of what it wants. And a person who is satisfied with having his disease cured without enquiring into the causes is like a child who never thinks that it will be thirsty after it is satisfied. This is the case with the large majority of mankind. Your wisdom can give the child water to quench its thirst, and my wisdom can destroy the error that made the child hunger and thirst after health and happiness. Such hunger and thirst is a disease. The rich man's torment was for water. The thirst made his torment and the wisdom he lacked would have enabled him to get it. This is the case in all diseases, but man is too lazy to think, so he believes what is said without any labor.
Phineas Parkhurst Quimby ”On Healing Those Who Do Not Understand” [May 1862]

No comments:

Post a Comment