Thursday, July 1, 2010

Clairvoyance III

During the winter of 1843, I visited Wiscasset with my subject and lectured before an audience, and gave experiments illustrating my theory of mesmerism. After putting my subject into the clairvoyant state, a gentleman by the name of Clark was placed in communication with him.

Mr. Clark directed him to find the barque on board of which was his son. He immediately saw the barque, described the vessel minutely, gave a general description of the Captain and Mate, and his son asked the Captain what time he would arrive in New York, and received the answer, which he communicated to Mr. Clark in the presence of the whole audience.
I left Wiscasset on the following day and visited Bath. In a few days I returned to Wiscasset and gave further experiments. Mr. Clark was again placed in communication with him and directed him to find the same vessel. He did so, and said she was hauling in to the wharf on dock in New York City at that moment, and that she arrived on such a day.
Upon making a calculation about the arrival of the mail, it was found that the news of her arrival would each Wiscasset on the following day. When the mail came, many persons who had witnessed the experiment were at the post office, anxiously waiting the news, and to test the truth of clairvoyance.
The news was received of the barque's arrival corresponding with the information communicated on the evening before by my subject. This circumstance was related in the newspaper printed at Wiscasset at the time.

On another occasion, I placed my subject in communication with a gentleman who was an entire stranger to me, and he took him to a certain bridge. My subject saw the bridge and described it very particularly. The gentleman gave up the subject and declared to the audience that the description was incorrect, and he could not do anything with my subject at clairvoyance.
On the following day, I met the same gentleman, and he assured me that my subject was correct, according to what he had learned since last evening. That the bridge had been rebuilt since he had seen it, and many material alterations made, such as my subject described.
We would remark here that many experiments of a similar character have been set down at the time as a partial failure, but that it was ascertained afterwards that the communicants were in the error, and that the subject was correct.
My subject was placed in communication with a lady who directed him to her father's house, which he described with particularity, even noticing the closets and doors. And often giving a description of each member of the family, said there was an old lady sitting in the corner with a pair of spectacles over her eyes, and that she was knitting.
The lady immediately wrote home and ascertained that at the time named by my subject, there was such an individual present in the room, answering to the description of my subject, and that she was also knitting.



Phineas Parkhurst Quimby

Quimby used the term subject for the person mesmerized/hypnotised:

No comments:

Post a Comment