Sunday, October 31, 2021

Mind Acting Upon Mind

 My object in introducing this work to the reader is to correct some of the evils that flesh is heir to. During a long experience in the treatment of disease, I have labored to find the causes of so much misery in the world. By accident,

I became interested in what was then called mesmerism; not thinking of ever applying it to any useful discovery or benefit to man, but merely as a gratification for my own curiosity. In this way, I went into the investigation of the subject. Being a skeptic, I would not believe anything that my subject would do, if there was any chance for deception. So all my experiments were carried out mentally. This gave me a chance to discover how far Mesmer was entitled to any discovery over those who had followed him. I found that the phenomenon could be produced. This was a truth, but the whys and wherefores were a mystery. This is the length of mesmerism. It is all a mystery, like spiritualism. Each has its believers, but the causes are in the dark. Believing in the phenomenon, I wanted to discover the causes, and find if there was any good to come out of it. At last, I found that these phenomena, of themselves, contained no wisdom; for they were like any phenomenon to be accounted for by a higher power than was in the phenomenon.

This led me to investigate the subject, so in my investigation, I found that my ignorance could produce phenomena in my subject that my own wisdom could not correct. At first I found that my own thoughts affected the subject; and not only my thought, but my belief. I found that my thoughts were one thing and my belief, another. If I really believed in anything, the effect would follow, whether I was thinking of it or not. I found that belief in everything affects us, yet we are not aware of it, because we do not happen to think. We think our beliefs have nothing to do with the phenomena. Man is governed by his belief, but his belief is not always known to him; so that often he thinks that the phenomenon has nothing to do with his belief, when all the evil he suffers is from his belief.

~ Introduction ~

Dr. Phineas P. Quimby

THE COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF DR. PHINEAS PARKHURST QUIMBY

We might fill up our pages with hundreds of experiments, similar to those we have given and all performed in the same manner. Perhaps my readers may, at this point, enquire in what manner all these simple experiments are performed. It is simply this. I first get the attention of my subject, endeavoring to exclude all other external influences and drawing their mind to myself. I then work up the sensation I wish to produce upon my subject in my own mind, and it is immediately communicated to that of the subject, and a correspondent feeling will be the result. It is the simple process of mind acting upon mind. It is necessary to draw the attention of the subject to myself, in order to receive the impression, because no one could receive impressions from external objects, unless he should give his attention to them. The public speaker makes it the first object to gain the attention of his audience and then proceeds to reason out the whole subject; and they are also prepared to go on with the speaker and receiving corresponding emotions with him.

§ x. ~ About the Imagination ~ Dr. Phineas P. Quimby

THE COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF DR. PHINEAS PARKHURST QUIMBY

Minds are joined; bodies are not. (ACIM, T-18.VI.3:1)

The minds are joined, but you do not identify with them. (ACIM, T-18.VI.7:4)

Minds that are joined and recognize they are, can feel no guilt. (ACIM, T-25.IV.1:1)

Where are the grounds for sickness when the minds have joined to close the little gap between them, where the seeds of sickness seemed to grow? (ACIM, T-28.III.5:5)

 

Whatever the mind is set upon, or whatever it keeps most in view, that it is bringing to it, and the continual thought or imagining must at last take form and shape in the world of seen and tangible things.
I repeat this assertion often in these books and in various forms of expression because this fact is the cornerstone of your happiness or misery, permanent health and prosperity, or poverty. It needs to be kept as much as possible in mind. Our thought is the unseen magnet, ever attracting its correspondence in things seen and tangible. As we realize this more and more clearly, we shall become more and more careful to keep our minds set in the right direction. We shall be more and more careful to think happiness and success instead of misery and failure.

Thoughts are Things
ESSAYS SELECTED FROM THE WHITE CROSS LIBRARY
by Prentice Mulford
1908

 

 

In psychology, synchronicity is defined as the occurrence of meaningful coincidences that seem to have no cause; that is, the coincidences are acausal. The underlying idea is that there is unity in diversity. In psychology, Carl Jung introduced the concept in his later works (1950s).

No comments:

Post a Comment