Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Living Daily By Meditation


If you jump out of bed in the morning, and make your physical preparations for the day, and then run out of the house to get to your office, or marketing, or shopping, you virtually are saying, “I guess I can live this day all right. I can take care of this day for myself.” And, you neglect the opportunity of admitting a divine Influence into your experience. Whereas, if you were to pause,
“Father, this is your day. You made this day. You have made the sun to rise. You have given light, and warmth, and the rains, and the snows in their season. This is Your day, and You created me. You created me in the womb right from the beginning, and I am yours. Use me this day. As the heavens declare the glory and the Earth showeth forth His handiwork, so must I show forth the glories of God. Let me glorify God today. Let God’s Will be made manifest in me. Let God’s Grace flow from me, through me to all those whom I meet.”
Or, another day, in that brief pause for inner communion, “Father, it is Thy intelligence
that I need today, not my limited wisdom but Thy infinite Wisdom. And, I need all the
love that You can fill me with today. Give me Thy Wisdom, and give me Thy Love.”
You see, a great humility has taken place within you, that great humbling of Spirit that
says, “Father, without Thee I can do nothing. Without Thee, I can be nothing.” Again, another day and you may have very serious problems to face this day, things that may be beyond your own ability, beyond your own understanding, beyond your own strength, or even beyond your own financial capacity. And, in turning within, you might remember this, “He that is within me is greater than any problem in the world.” Or, “He performeth that which is given me to do. He perfecteth that which concerneth me.” You see, in our work, the Bible is our basis. While I could give you similar passages in all of the Scriptures of the world, and you can find them for yourself, nevertheless, there are enough in the King James or other translations of our Bible for everyone’s need.
Living Daily By Meditation
New York 1956
Joel S. Goldsmith



Yes, the object of this life of meditation is not the meditation itself. Meditation is the means through which we attain an awareness of an inner Presence, an inner Power, an inner Protection, an inner Guide, an inner Guardian. And, eventually, we come to a place described best by Paul, “I live; yet not I. Christ is living my life.” You ultimately reach a place where, without any conscious effort, there is a surrender of the self and a continuous flow, almost as if it were over this shoulder; and you never make a move without opening this inner ear for Its guidance, for Its message, and It tells you which way to go. It is really living a double life. It is living what appears to be a human life outwardly but a life lived by Grace inwardly; a life that we do not live ourselves, but we receive inner impulsions, inner instructions, inner help all along the way.
Those who have been close to me in these last years have witnessed a couple of very strange experiences of that kind. Some of them are of such a nature that you do not look on them as miracles. In fact, you hardly recognize that anything other than your normal life is going on. But, once in a while, something will take place of such a startling nature that you know right well that you’ve been witness to a miracle. And, one of those was, some years ago, sitting at my desk in Honolulu, I heard the Voice within me say, “Go to New York in November, wait there a few days in December, and then go to London.”
And, that was a very strange message to hear poured out audibly in words, and that
seemed so strange for this reason. I could understand going to New York, because there
were some students that we knew of in New York studying the writings, and some had
expressed the hope that I would come and give a class. So that was understandable. But,
what about London? I had no reason to go to London. None in the world. So far as I
knew, there might be twenty, or thirty, or forty people in England who had found The
Infinite Way writings; but beyond that I had no knowledge of any work there or any
activity. So, why London? Well, the strange part is this that I went right out to the ticket
office and ordered my ticket for New York and London.
Well, the work went very successfully here in New York. We had two, no, I think four
very fine classes; and they came to an end on November 30 th . And, there was nothing to
do but sit around and wait. And so, I ordered a passport and had it delivered and then just
waited. And, I think it was on the 4 th of December that the Voice came again and said,
“Go tomorrow.” Over to the office, bought a ticket, and tomorrow I was on the way to
London. And, the strangest thing was arriving there and going to a small hotel where they
had reserved a suite and sitting down saying, “Well, Father, I’ve gotten to London but
now why? What do you want me to do in London? I have nothing to do here, no one to
see, no mission; but I’m here.” And, I just waited. I sat in that chair and waited. And then,
a thought came to me, “Well, you do have the names of a dozen people who have written
you that they found The Infinite Way. Why not drop them a line and let them know you’re here; and if they’d like to phone you or visit you, why, you’re here.” I did. I wrote about a dozen short letters to that effect.
I sat down in the chair again, and I said, “All right, Father, what’s next?” “Oh, well,
you’ve been wanting to meet Henry Thomas Hamblin. He’s been wonderful to you and his magazine and said nice things about The Infinite Way. You want to meet him. Get in touch with Mr. Hamblin.” So, I got in touch with Mr. Hamblin, made an appointment to visit him down at his home two hours from London on Thursday. “All right, now that’s done. What next?” And, there was no answer. But, Thursday morning, I awakened early, ready to go out to see Mr. Hamblin, and before I left the mail came. And, with it, a letter
from Sweden, saying that “a group of fifteen students were studying The Infinite Way,
and they had first learned of The Infinite Way from a Christian Science practitioner in
London named Miss So and So. And, would I ever think of coming to Sweden to talk to
these fifteen students?”
Well, things are beginning to happen. So, I went to visit Mr. Hamblin, and, needless to
say, it was a joyous experience and has been ever since. We are very closely united, not
only Mr. Hamblin and I but his entire family. And, during the day, I asked him if he knew
a practitioner by this name. “Oh,” he said, “yes. She buys copies of “The Infinite Way”
fifty at a time for her patients. And, they’re so grateful that we introduced the subject to her that she sends us a check every month in gratitude.” “Well, I must meet this lady.”
When I get back to London, I looked up the practitioner and found that she not only
wanted “The Infinite Way” but the other writings. “Well, we can’t make them available
to you, because you can’t send money to America; except, well, of course, but I can send
gifts to you.” “Oh no, we don’t want gifts. We want the books, and we want them on
sale.” “Sorry, you can’t have them. Wonder if you would go to this publisher and talk to
him about it?” Result? Five of The Infinite Way books are now published by that
publisher in London, three by another publisher in London, five more being published in
1957 in London.
Can you imagine all of this coming out of a Voice saying, “Go to London.”
Living Daily By Meditation
New York 1956
Joel S. Goldsmith


No comments:

Post a Comment