Friday, December 2, 2011

"Be still, and know that I am God,"

THE SECRET PLACE
It is never given us in our imperfect human speech to say precisely where God in wise and loving presence with us ceases, where man in his uplift of heart and will begins. But what language cannot directly say a scriptural passage may impressively suggest. Hence we say to ourselves, as if speaking for that Presence: "Be still, and know that I am God," endeavoring to be genuinely still as we repeat the passage: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee." "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.''[1] These sayings bring us into the secret place as an experience, and that is what we need.

HOW TO DEMONSTRATE

Let us make the matter simple. Here is a day when one feels an inward need. There is a difficulty to be overcome, a problem to be solved, or someone to be helped. Let me then go apart by myself and seek the quiet sanctuary of the Spirit once more. "Be still, and know that I am God," I say to myself, with the realization that God is present like an Over-soul to guide and illumine me. May I trust in Him so that my mind shall be "stayed" upon His wisdom. May I be at
peace so that some measure of His peace shall touch my spirit with tranquillity. Then may I see the way in the special direction in which I need light.

What I affirm as true, now, is the God-ward part of my life, the perfect peace in which the Father can keep me, the infinite wisdom adequate to meet all occasions, the perfect love which casts out all fear. If I did not lack this peace there would be no reason for seeking it. If I realized all wisdom I should have no problem to bring forward for solution. If perfect love controlled my heart I should not have "one fear to conquer each day." Inevitably then I must take an attitude in my quest for help which admits a lack, with humility or readiness enough to make me receptive. Since the Father already knows the way whereon I should walk, since He has provided for every need, my part is to listen and make myself ready in the secret place that I may receive what the Father has provided.

What I must do, therefore, in order to demonstrate is to put out of the way whatever thought, attitude of will, emotion, habit, deed or mode of conduct there may be that interferes with the coming of what the Father has provided. Then when my thinking, my willing and my conduct follow the spiritual order, I may indeed make use of my imaging power, my affirmations and all the rest of my psychological equipment, to foster the things of the Spirit.
Excerpts from:
SPIRITUAL HEALTH AND HEALING
By


HORATIO W. DRESSER. Ph.D.
1922

[1]
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace
, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

Peshitta
Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment