Saturday, January 7, 2017

"IF"

IF I can throw a single ray of light
Across the darkened pathway of another;
If I can aid some soul to clearer sight
Of life and duty, and thus bless my brother;
If I can wipe from any human cheek a tear,
I shall not then have lived in vain while here.
If I can guide some erring one to truth,
Inspire within his heart a sense of duty;
If I can plant within the soul of rosy youth
A sense of right, a love of truth and beauty;
If I can teach one man that God and Heaven are near,
I shall not then have lived in vain while here.
If from my mind I banish doubt and fear,
And keep my life attuned to love and kindness;
If I can scatter light and hope and cheer,
And help remove the curse of mental blindness;
If I can make more joy, more hope, less pain,
I shall not then have lived and loved in vain.
If by life's roadside I can plant a tree,
Beneath whose shade some wearied head may rest;
Though I may never share its shade, or see
Its beauty, I shall yet be truly blest-
Though no one knows my name, nor drops a flow'r upon my bier,
I shall not then have lived in vain while here.
By B. F. AUSTIN


HARTMANN'S WHO'S WHO
IN
Occult, Psychic and Spiritual Realms
EMBRACING
Alchemy, Anthropology, Anthroposophy, Applied Psychology, Archaeology, Astrology, Baha'i Movement, Bio-Chemistry, Bi'O-Psychology, Buddhism, Christian Mysticism, Chromatics, Divine Science, New Thought, Numerology, Occultism, Phrenology, Psychiatry, Psycho-analysis, Psychical Research, Ros.icrucianism, Sacred Science, Spiritualism, Sufi Movement, Theosophy, Transcendental Science, Vedanta Philosophy, Vegetarianism, Vocational Guidance, and Cognate Subjects.

JESUS AND SIDDARTHA

ONE from the manger and one from the palace came;
Their goal the same.
Their search only to find
Liberation for mankind.
One only solvent-
Love.
And one died young and one lived long;
Yet sang the selfsame song:
One only hope in
Love.
One died on the cross and one in peace,
Yet each found refuge and surcease
In living the truth of
Love.
Spires and domes and priests and creeds
Obscure their message for human needs
And divert the stream of
Love.
Yet the truth of the Christ
And the truth of the Buddha
Is stronger than bricks and stones,
And greater far than sacraments and robes.
One from the manger and one from the palace came
When the world had need ;
And the message today's the same
As living saviors sow the seed of
Love.
Dedicated to Edmund Russell
By DR. GUY BOGART
By special request we reprint from "The Stratford Journal" of Boston, Dr. Bogart's popular poem, praised by William Stanley Braithwaite; of which Robert Service said "This is real poetry"; Edmund Russell, "It should be written on tablets of gold," and Tagore, "The poem is indeed remarkable."


Copyright 1925
by
William C. Hartmann
Published, November, 1925

No comments:

Post a Comment