Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mental Science is not a "get-rich-quick scheme,"

neither does it promise something for nothing. It does, however, promise the one who will comply with its teaching that he shall be able to bring into his life and experience greater possibilities and happier conditions.
I was listening to an old show of Unity-FM on the weekend. Someone mentioned the "Something for Nothing" course, Infomercials etc. I thought this quote of Holmes rather amusing.
On the same show someone mentioned praying to meet your Twin Soul/Soul mate who is then the one that pushes your buttons. That's the wrong idea. There are so many couples that don't push each others buttons. Besides its about your connection to spirit, not theirs. I heard a psychologist mention that thinking there is only one person in the world for you isn't healthy or wise. You've limited yourself. Love means letting go of fear. If someone pushes your buttons maybe there is someone else that won't.
The dream of the "perfect partner" is an attempt to find EXTERNAL integration, while retaining conflicting needs in the self.(URtext)

The Ancients used to teach their pupils to say to themselves
—"Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful me!"—
There is but One Mind.
Here is the point: everything we experience, touch, taste, handle and smell; environment, bodies, conditions, money, happiness, friends; all are effects.
"Instinctive Man within me is perfect and yet I appear to be imperfect. My apparent imperfection must be the result of an imperfect thinking; in reality I am, and always have been, perfect. I will now begin to think differently about myself and see what happens.""God made me perfect but He also made me an individual, which means that I can do with myself as I will. I cannot really destroy my body but I can make it most uncomfortable. Since God made me and made me perfect, each one of the organs of my body represents a perfect idea.""I am perfect, no matter what the appearance may be."
Excerpts from:THE SCIENCE OF MIND (1926) BY ERNEST S. HOLMESHolmes started Religious Science. He quotes Emma Curtis Hopkins and Judge Thomas Troward. Troward wrote "Mental Science" around 1900 based on the New Testament and his understanding of Metaphysics from his time in India. Troward had the unique distinction of answering all the Metaphysical questions on his entrance exam based on meditating on the question because he couldn't study for the metaphysical part of it and passed(Some of his answers apparently were quite unique). Troward said similar things to Quimby as New Thought and Mental Science were seemingly similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment