Friday, September 3, 2010

Brother Lawrence

was a monk who lived in France during the seventeenth century. His spiritual counsel was simple: throughout every day, keep an ongoing conversation with God.

"I make it my business to rest in His holy presence," he said, "which I keep myself in by a a habitual, silent, and secret conversation with God. This often causes in me joys and raptures inwardly, and sometimes also outwardly, so great that I am forced to use means to moderate them, and prevent their appearance to others."

Brother Lawrence's thoughts have been collected in a text titled The Practice of the Presence of God, which is comprised of a series of "Conversations" and "Letters." The Practice of the Presence of God is a text compiled by Father Joseph de Beaufort, later vicar general to the Archbishop of Paris, of the wisdom and teachings of Brother Lawrence, a 17th century Carmelite monk.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment